Because we had so many books to share, I asked everyone to do a quick round of sports books and then we moved on to survival books. Today I'll round up our sports books.
This is a topic that seems to come up every year, I think because none of us in my department truly gravitate towards sports books on our own, so we make sure to include sports books when we're planning our reading year. This is definitely one of those genres that stretch us as readers, and it's a subject that LOTS of kids LOVE, so it's definitely important for us to be aware of key authors and titles to suggest.
Here's what we read for sports:
- Babe Conquers the World: The Legendary Life of Babe Didrikson Zaharias (biography: track & field, golf, basketball)
- Ballerina Dreams: From Orphan to Dancer by Michaela dePrince (ballet - maybe not a sport?)
- Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (football)
- Fantasy Baseball by Alan Gratz (baseball)
- Gold Medal Summer by Donna Freitas (gymnastics)
- The Greatest: Muhammad Ali by Walter Dean Myers (biography: boxing)
- Planet Middle School by Nikki Grimes (basketball)
- Recruited (Surviving Southside) by Suzanne Weyn
- Samurai Shortstop by Alan Gratz (baseball)
- A Strong Right Arm: The Story of Mamie "Peanut" Johnson by Michelle Green (biography: baseball)
You can see our previous sports reading here: