The meeting this month took place while we were closed for staff training on our new ILS system. We didn't get heavily into discussions of the genre because it was the last bit of a long day of meetings.
So what did everyone read last month?
- 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel / 1 Dog = Chaos by Vivian Vande Velde
- Drita My Homegirl by Jenny Lombard
- Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret by Wanda Coven
- The Homework Machine by Dan Gutman
- Just Another Day in My Insanely Real Life by Barbara Dee
- Knightley Academy by Violet Haberdasher
- No Talking by Andrew Clements
- Sahara Special by Esme Raji Codell
- The School at Crooked Creek by Laurie Lawlor
- The Whole Story of Half a Girl by Veera Hiranandari
Patrons may not come in with an assignment to read a school story. They may not know the terminology "school story", but I would use this list as a starting point for kids who want stories about their everyday life. Stories about kids like them doing the same stuff that they do. Of course, not every single title on this list would fit that description (and, of course, not every kid's "everyday life" includes attending school), but it's a starting point. And having a starting point goes a LONG way towards feeling confident about doing readers' advisory (even for me, who took a graduate-level readers' advisory course and who has been doing readers' advisory for years).